Saturday, November 12, 2005

Made a little change.

I've renamed this spot, Nitty.Gritty. Not because I love the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, but because I was needing something more succinct. For the moment this title is more catchy for me~ and besides, I thought it would look kind of funky if I started making my own blog-tshirts.
Maybe I'll pass them out as Christmas gifts. Wouldn't you all have that at the top of your list?! Okay. Maybe second to an iPod mini or something really fun- but a Nitty.Gritty. blogspot tshirt to sit around in while you sip a Pumpkin Spice Latte and enjoy mellow Christmas tunes next to the tree while your family rips into their gifts...now that folks is a beautiful picture of life.
Notice I didn't say Christmas. Most of that has nothing to do with what Christmas means to me- but it does depict that you have more than enough in this world and that you are very blessed.
Enough of all that silly thinking- besides, I could very well change the title of this page before Christmas even gets here.
Now for one more short, true story. Happened to me in line at Wal-Mart, where I usually walk out with some sort of story or incident every single visit...(sidenote here- quirky thing you'll have to live with or get used to about me~ I really LOVE run-on sentences because I feel like a rebel breaking rules of writing- my apologies to you...back to the story...) Oh yeah. Wal-Mart, yesterday, Veteran's Day, I'm standing behind an middle-aged woman who is doing her best to casually get the attention of everyone around her- starting with our check-out kid. She starts talking about her daughter who is coming home by Christmas from duty in Iraq. She tells us all loudly how horrible it's been not knowing when her daughter would come home. She misses her everyday. She couldn't put up a Christmas tree last year- because she was too overwhelmed with her daughter not being home to celebrate. She had 3 cases of LaBatt Blue Beer and some hamburger and buns and chips on the checkout belt. She adds, she better get home soon because "I've nearly drank myself to death". I smile at this point, say, "Happy Veteran's day...and tell your daughter the next time you talk to her that some of us appreciate all she is doing. "
The woman then turns to me, puts her hand on my shoulder (which some of you know I don't appreciate "stranger touch" that much), and dramatically says, "I noticed the diapers in your cart and I'm so jealous that you have a baby at home to hold. You're so lucky. "
At this point, I probably should have just nodded or smiled...but not today. I said, "I had a 4 year old daughter killed tragically four years ago and another left brain-injured. I appreciate my kids everyday." She pulled her hand off my shoulder (I guess she could have done the opposite and bear-hugged me), and said, "I'm sorry." She didn't say another thing to any of us.
I write all that (which really wasn't a short story afterall) not to show you what a "bad person" I really am...but to say that I think there are a lot of people out there who complain and gripe or feel sorry for themselves- instead of focusing on all that they have and how lucky they are in life. I could have said more to this lady- or commented that she at least still has a daughter coming home, or that she should think about the Hurrican victims that have nothing left of some of their whole lives.
Thanksgiving is just around the corner. I guess it's not too soon to start making our lists of what we have to be grateful for.
That's my nitty gritty for today. I never said my blog would be lighthearted. But I do hope to make you think a minute or two. If nothing else, maybe you'll think twice before standing in a checkout with me!! (I'm grinning right now- I can be a really sweet person too. Don't forget that.)

1 comment:

Paddy said...

My brother was killed 6 years ago this October just gone. Situations that seem to turn people into drama queens just pass me by. They seem so petty and small. There are a lot worse things that can happen in life. And if you`ve experienced any of them then anything else is insigificant (up to a point of course).

There isn`t a day goes by that I don`t feel this way.