Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Eternal destiny and luminous toothpaste

Do you realize that life your "life is but a blip on a eternal screen"*? That we are all just a mist that apperas for a little while and then vanishes? I don't intend to frighten you or sound depressing- but the material I read states it bluntly at times, and I'm just passing some of it on to you.
I think often about the meaning of life, people who came before me and what will happen to me in the future. I'm not scared about it, but sometimes I wonder if I'm spending my time wisely. Afterall, each day we are all one day closer to the end of our lives- and I want to make sure that I am being the most I can be while I'm here on Earth.
Maybe that's why I disdain advertising- it just doesn't "speak" to me. Do I really care how white my teeth can get? And even if I have really, really white teeth, will that make people like me more? And if people like me more because I have such terrific white teeth, do I really want to be friends with them anyway? [Can you see how I can drive my hubby nuts while watching tv?! I go into this kind of reasoning for other products and services too. Do it yourself sometime and see if you really need that syrup. Or face cream. Or 9-blade,self-cleaning-radio-anti-fog-for-a-shaving-experience-unlike-anything-you've-ever-had-in-life-before razor. Oh yeah...the advertisers just love people like myself.]
I'm not sure how all this blogging fits into the scheme of eternity and whether or not it's really me making the best use of my time, but for now I'll keep posting and thinking about it. The point is this- that every minute of life is worth more than we realize, I think. I still plan on doing crazy, fun, relatively meaningless stuff- like belting out classics to the amusement of my family in the car. And I hope that I'll be leaving some sort of legacy that's worth remembering.
*If you're looking for a great book to focus your thoughts on the eternal perspective try this one...a favorite book of mine- Heaven-Your Real Home by author Joni Eareckson Tada. Note:If you happen to be talented in blogging and can teach me how to link to another website from a post- I'd love you. I've tried the blogger help steps and haven't got it worked out. I'll keep trying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your thoughts. It may not be the best use of your time, but I sure love to read what you have to say!
As far as links go, I'm on typepad... but in the post screen, you type in your post. Then you go back and highlight the word you want to make a hotlink. Then, while that is still highlighted, you click on a little button that looks like a chain (thus, the "link!" It's intuitive! Gotta love that!). Then a dialog box comes up where you type in the web address. Then you hit "okay" and that is it! I am typing this all out because I bet there is something similar on Blogger. Good luck!
xoxoxo
Lainie

Janna said...

i just love your blog... your faith and spirituality is refreshing, and it has touched me... you will never know who may really need to read your message. thanks for that... and God bless...
janna