Sunday, June 04, 2006

This is what happens when your sister has a blog.



Happy Birthday, Steph! What did you expect from me? A simple card or a meaningless present? No way. Today, because I know you read this blog whenever you get the chance, I am telling all my readers how lucky I am to have the world's greatest big sister. You're it.
I have fallen short over the years of telling people I love most in my life just how special they are to me. Today, this airtime goes to Stephanie. You can't help but hear me loud and clear- I think you're amazing. In case you wondered what I really thought about you all these years!
You know I've always wished I could do things as effortlessly as you do them...from piano playing, to the style of your clothes, to the straight A's you got in every class you ever enrolled in. You have a knack for making things in your life look easy- even when they're not. That's how good you are!
I've been so lucky to have you in my life- and I've enjoyed all the crazy things we've done through the years- including raiding newspaper stands late in the night on Sunday's to grab the last of the papers just to get extra coupons!! We're so bad! =) Don't pretend you're too old to remember those days.
I love you with all my heart. Even when I called you "Fancy Feast"...it was because I admired you and I still do. I know you don't like to be in the spotlight (as much as I love it {wink}), so to have your pictures here probably makes you blush in front of your computer screen. I did it because I think you deserve a little recognition for your greatness.
You've been one of my biggest supporters in my life- always quietly there for me and praying for me and encouraging me with cards and especially putting up with all my wild and crazy ideas. I miss living so far from you, but as you know, I think often about Heaven. It even makes the distance between us easier to bear for one main reason.
I know when we get there we will live on the same golden street and we will have all eternity to make up for the times we are missing one another down here. I can't wait! Our neighbors are gonna love the block parties that we host and we'll never run out of fun things to do together. From singing to laughing to just being together.
But before that I hope we still share lots of moments that can't compare to any other times in life- because we are sisters. I hope you had a wonderful birthday today. You deserve it...and next time we're together we'll make up for today by having a hunk of carrot cake or mud pie or Grand Ol' Creamery ice cream or a coconut latte or...
I think you get it now. We'll do something totally calorie-laden, but so wonderful it will not matter! Happy Nitty.Gritty. thirty-something (I'm too nice to reveal your age here) Birthday, Steph. I lucked out getting you in my life!
P.S. To Jacque... your day is coming, next month!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky Jody... I have a sister that refuses to speak with anyone in our family. For the past six years she has divorced herself from the joy of being a sister & an aunt. So confusing and so hurtful... but life goes on. Thanks for sharing your sisters birthday with us.

Cris said...

Love your post. I feel the same way. I just don't know what I would have done without my sisters to support me. And I only hope that my daughters will grow-up to have a close relationship too. God Bless. And Happy Birthday Steph from all of us out here in Nitty Gritty Land. :)

Shelly said...

Happy Mutual Birthday Steph! June 4th Birthdays are the bestest! And very popular, I might add. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Stephie!

Thank-you Jody for reminding me. I am the worst at remembering birthdays! Steph is all those things you wrote about and more...I am so glad that she is my sister in Christ. Just knowing her makes you a better person.

Hugs - Cynthia

Anonymous said...

P.S. Everyone knows that Steph hates to eat things laden with calories. And if she does succomb to the temptation, she only eats one bite with a baby spoon.

Your friend who likes to eat,
Cynthia