Saturday, October 07, 2006

Eating off my china...again.

This grilled sandwich was created by me in my very own kitchen. You already know that I spend too much time blogging, but it's food like this that help me justify that time spent online. Besides various scrapbookers, designers and crafty peoples' blogs, I love finding good recipes and reviews of food.
I grilled up a couple of these for my *best friend* Rachael and I yesterday at lunch. I got the recipe from this blog, and it's called 'Pesto, Artichoke, Prosciutto and Asiago Panini'. I found all the ingredients at my local grocery store- with the exception of the Ciabatta buns. I used a crusty loaf of french bread, and it worked out nearly as well, I'm sure.
Without further ado, here is the simple recipe- with the additional recipe for the basil pesto to boot...
Basil Pesto-
In a small food processor (or regular size one if that is what you use), process until well combined these ingredients:
2 cups fresh basil leaves, 2 peeled garlic cloves, 1/2 cup of walnut pieces, 1/4 tsp. ground pepper and 1/2 tsp. salt.
Here is the list of ingredients for the panini-
2 Ciabatta buns, 2 Tbsp. basil pesto, handful of cleaned, fresh arugula leaves, sm. jar or can of artichoke hearts (drain well), 6 slices of prosciutto ham and 4 slices of Asiago cheese.
To make sandwich, heat grill or panini press (I used our cast iron grill that sits on my stove burners). Spread the basil pesto on bottom half of buns. Layer arugula over pesto. Add prosciutto and top with the Asiago cheese. Brush the outside of buns with olive oil and grill for 4 to 5 minutes each side. (Don't burn.) Serve and enjoy immediately...or as soon as you can. =)

My last item on the Nitty.Gritty. Scrapper of the Year front for today is a link to pics of all 10 finalists. My essay and layout have not been in the spotlight yet, but my time is coming soon.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya Jody~
Being a lover of pesto and artichoke hearts makes me want to run off to the store right now and makes these sandwiches..yummy!! Thanks for sharing. Ok, so I went to the CK website and got a look at the ten finalist's pictures. My first thought was "she used the yellow background" =), second thought was "she's the only blonde" and that made me think "well geez being the only blonde will just make her stand out more and be chosen"!!!! =) I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya! God Bless~
Tammy in Michigan

Rhonda said...

Good Luck on Tuesday and have a safe trip!!!!!

Valerie said...

and my fingers are SO crossed for you! Rock on, girlie - can't wait to read your profile & more importantly - see your name as the SOY! Have a great time, be safe & know that we're pulling for you!

Nancy said...

The sandwich looks so yummy. I love artichoke hearts so this sounds like a winner. I still can't wait until they do your profile . . . I will keep checking back. Have a great weekend and good luck!
Blessings,
Nancy

Jenny said...

Thanks for another TNT recipe!!!!

I will be happily awaiting the announcement of SOY ...drumroll please....

JODY FERLAACK!!!!

and then they shower you with useable size paper scraps instead of confetti and present you with a beautiful bouquet of hand crafted paper flowers!

Have a GREAT trip!

Anonymous said...

still tryin' to find that spaghetti pie recipie of yours...

Claire said...

Lucky Rachael!

I am very envious of you guys! That sandwich looks amazing. I'm not a big fan of cooking (and yes, grilling a sandwich constitutes cooking for me) but I'm actually going to give this one a go - cross your fingers!

P.S. Jody, I'm blogging now too - you've inspired me to unleash the inner workings of my mind to the (cyber)world.

Claire, Wellington, New Zealand

Christal said...

Jody,
I keep checking the site for your essay, and initially thought to myself... hmmm I bet they will put her last..( thought this because I am not a patient person) Well wouldnt you know it, I think they will save THE BEST FOR LAST! Congrats on making the top 10,we all will be cheering you on! Have a fun and safe trip! Christal

Cris said...

That sandwich looks yummy!

Well tomorrow is the BIG day! I can't wait to hear how everything goes. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

LOL! We have the exact same China!!! It's Ralph Lauren, isn't it?!

That sandwich looks so yummy. Guess I shouldn't have skipped lunch today, because now my tummy is rumbling!