Saturday, February 24, 2007

Oh blah-dee, oh blah-da..."La la la la, life goes on"



I just had to post some pictures...Chip has had the laptop I normally blog from at work the past few days, so I've been unable to do so.
But, I am happy to post this picture of Brock looking grown up in his new glasses (and tie). I snapped it after school the other day; he was dressed up for saying a poem that he tied for first during a recent speech meet. I have to admit (unashamedly, I might add) that I was proud of him. He was so comfortable and at ease in front of a packed room of fellow students and parents. I hope that the confidence and smile he had with himself witllstay with him a long time. I made sure to tell him how proud I was of his confidence and his ability. I know how important it is for kids to hear from their parents such words as "I'm proud of you"...and this was a perfect opportunity for me to do so. I would challenge all the parents reading this to look for a reason to encourage or be proud of your child(ren) today. Sometimes I think we don't say these kinds of things enough...but I know it's a message that can't hurt when it "sinks in" over time.
I am proud of my little girls too...I tell them when they go potty and when they dress themselves or put toys away, or any number of other things they do "right" throughout the day. I have said it before...there are too many messages coming at us telling us that we're not good enough or pretty enough or rich enough or whatever the ad is trying to sell us or make us desire. I want my kids to hear messages of truth from me- someone they love and respect and whose opinion truly matters to them. [Sort of the very same reasoning I have turned off the comments for now.] I seek constructive "voices" in my life. There are plenty of ways to hear/see the negative ones, and my blog wasn't the place I wanted to get more of that "junk" in my life. I have seen through the outpouring of support in my email inbox (nitty.grittyjody@yahoo.com ) that a lot of you are with me on this one. I have emailed several of you back...thanks for your encouragement and wit and thoughts and all that ...and to others, I will keep working on my replies as I find the time. For now, just know your letters have been read and appreciated. I even found a couple that went straight to my bulk mail...I didn't want to miss a note from "Anonymous" if he/she had tried to write me back with an apology. =)
For you scrappers, I posted a couple of pictures of some thank you tags that I spent some of my 'precious time' on this week. They were made for an all-day crop held at my kids' school, and I was happy to donate my time and energy for this event. I am "proud" of such a great place in which I have the ability to send my kids for a sound and upstanding education. I can't say enough about all the teachers, administrators and other families involved in making CCS a place where lessons are taught- not only in academics, but in faith and life as well. I am very grateful for this institution and support in our lives. I see more and more that the teachers who commit their lives to these kids are unsung heros in our lives. So, I challenge you here again, to tell your children(s) educators and role models in life how much you appreciate them. It may not seem like a big deal, but that's the beauty- little words, spoken in truth, have lasting impact. That's one of the reasons I blog. =)