Monday, April 16, 2007

Seeing beauty...


I have been having so much fun sending and reading messages between myself and the others who make up the design team for the soon to be released Scrap In Style TV website. This group of women hails from all over the US and even Canada and the Netherlands. When our minds and creativity and purpose of bringing out the best in others comes together in the launch of this new site, I think we are all in for a real treat. I'll keep you all posted as May 15th draws closer.
I say all that because I have gotten to know some of these amazingly, talented women a bit through their blogs, and through this one, was pointed to one of the most engaging articles I have read in a long while.
You will want to go to this link- an article from the Washington Post, which as I stated, is engaging in topic, but also I thought was so telling of us as people- especially who we are and what drives us in our culture.
It's what I have been wrestling ever since the death of Teagan; the challenge to change my pace of living, and the realization that life is made up of so many choices coming at us each day- that many of us often sacrifice the true beauty of life and living to things that seem to be a "matter of life and death". We run red lights to save time; we sacrifice our health and energy by eating fast food-thinking it is saving us time, when in fact it isn't necessarily even doing that; we fill our lives with television and music and arguing with our spouses about finances and work schedules and whose night it is to go out. We go to bed late and wake up early, hurrying to get everything done on our "to do lists" for that day...only to go to bed late and wake the next morning to the same jobs and argue about more scheduling conflicts and finances and late fees.
Something seems amiss to me...and that came to light in my life, in such a way that I couldn't argue with it, when Teagan died. I still struggle with balancing things in my life, and cooking healthy meals, and finding ways to mix joy and fun into the list of things that have to be done. Like paying taxes. =) Yet I make much more of a conscious effort to look beyond the daily grind, or to simply step back sometimes, slow my life down, and soak up the gifts that God has placed in my life.
As I read through this article, Pearls Before Breakfast, it resonated (no pun intended after you read the article) with me and I just knew I had to post the link here. You will want to read it the whole way through, even though it is a bit lengthy. In the end, it just might make you look {or listen} twice for the beauty around you in your own life. Often times it is there if you are simply willing to stop and take it all in. Many times it even presents itself to you at no cost, other than the fact that you have to be aware and willing to put the seemingly pressing things in your life on hold.
God designed us and created us to enjoy our world. We have created chaos and hustle which causes us to miss what God intended for us all along. This article made me realize that it may be happening to us more than we think.
Lest you think that you have all the time in the world for beauty and such, let us not forget and let us pray for the victims of our nation's most recent random tragedy, the deaths of several people on the campus of Virginia Tech. My prayers and sympathies to all the families touched by this horror. Life is precious, and I that message is one that, in my opionion, cannot be repeated enough.

18 comments:

gloria said...

that was a horrible thing to wake up to this morning (aus time).
i just don't get it.

thanks for the reminder to look for random beauty.

Anonymous said...

that article reached inside me too. I think this is going to be more growth and fun than any of us expected.

have a fabulous tuesday

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for the things I said I really did not mean to hurt you. I do hope you believe that. Today I am ashamed of them and asking God's forgiveness and yours.It is not for me to judge what is in your heart. That is between you and God.

I do still recommend John Piper's website. He is simply just incredible.

Ang said...

thanks jody~
ryan sent me that article earlier this week...
amazing and appalling.
so many thoughts come to mind (about life, purpose, beauty, time, priorities, people)...what an interesting experiment...
see you tomorrow.

-ang

Anonymous said...

I've been sitting here for the past few days feeling sorry for myself - not in a depressed kind of way, but a self-wallowing kind - and I've Never been good at wallowing. Lately it just seems like constant complaining - about money, and teenage attitudes, my responsibilities to everybody around me and feeling a little lost in the storm. Then...I find your blog and I realize that, while my life's issues are very real, it's my life - and the not-so-good days are a very small part of an overall pretty blessed existence. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous...I am thankful that not only has the Lord worked in your heart about what you said, but that you apologized to Jody and asked for her forgiveness (and the Lord's). It's all we can do as sinful humans, isn't it? Mess up, ask for a receive forgiveness, and rely on God to help us grow from it...for our good and His glory! And you're right - John Piper is great - I was blessed to attend his church for awhile, and my former pastor is on staff with him there. God sure uses that ministry for His glory, that's for sure!

Blessings to you in Christ. Thanks again for posting an apology - I hope that all who have replied to you in frustration will also see this post and be reminded that we all need grace and forgiveness. And to receive that, we must acknowledge our wrongdoing and ask for that forgiveness.

Praying that we can all seek to bring Him glory...Jodie

Anonymous said...

Anonymous...I am thankful that not only has the Lord worked in your heart about what you said, but that you apologized to Jody and asked for her forgiveness (and the Lord's). It's all we can do as sinful humans, isn't it? Mess up, ask for a receive forgiveness, and rely on God to help us grow from it...for our good and His glory! And you're right - John Piper is great - I was blessed to attend his church for awhile, and my former pastor is on staff with him there. God sure uses that ministry for His glory, that's for sure!

Blessings to you in Christ. Thanks again for posting an apology - I hope that all who have replied to you in frustration will also see this post and be reminded that we all need grace and forgiveness. And to receive that, we must acknowledge our wrongdoing and ask for that forgiveness.

Praying that we can all seek to bring Him glory...Jodie

Anonymous said...

Jody - thanks so much for sharing this link. I had several moments yesterday where I stopped to just think about the moment I was in right now. It is true that we get so involved with the daily grind we miss the little things. thanks again for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jody. I have never visited your site before and saw a link from Ali Edwards. I'm so appreciative of your reference to (and remarks about) the Post article that I otherwise would not have read. Turns out, it was published on my birthday! I live in DC but do not subscribe to the Post for several reasons, but to me, that may be one of the more important pieces I have seen coming from this paper. I am not surprised to note that the editors intention was based on the concept of "genius" and that Bell corrected them by calling it "beauty." Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Your poignant story and phrasing is poetic in and of itself. I will share and forward your link and this story with others. Have a great day. I'll be back for a visit again soon. All the best, Molly Irwin

Jill said...

Wow! The article in the Post was eye opening to me. How much beauty in life do I walk right by and miss out on because of my busy mode.
Thanks.

scrapnic72 said...

Jody:

I just wanted you to know, if you don't already, that you were referenced on Ali Edwards' site today. Congratulations! This should bring a lot of attention Nitty.Gritty's way! And lots of attention Jesus' way, too!

Best,
Nicole

Jody said...

Hi Nicole (in case you might be wondering...I personally know Nicole! see above comment) I appreciate the note of congrats, but on the heels of my recent controversy and comments expressed by different readers, I want to make sure to 'deflect' any glory or recognition away from me and my blog. =) Not, as many of you have noted, that I need to defend myself, but just for a personal reitteration...I am not seeking fame and attention. I was happy to share this article here and also in personal emails that I sent to a few people whom I felt would appreciate and soak up the depth of this recent 'Post stunt'. I take no credit for finding this article. I was moved by it, and wondered how I might have responded to that posed cituation, had I been on a morning commute and witnessed beauty in such a pure and unimposing way. I'm really just inspired and grateful that I have so many opportunities to share thoughts and ideas and life as it comes my way.
Hopefully we can get together and scrap one of these days! SO, really...a humble "Thanks, Nicole."

rainbow lisa said...

amen, sister.
amen.

hope you have a wonderful week!

Thena said...

Just saying hello. Found a link to your blog from a comment on my blog and followed it.

Thena Smith

Jen said...

Jody-
Hi, I came across your blog from Adrienne's. I am so sorry for the hurtful comments that people left on your site. I am also truly sorry for your loss. I don't know what it feels like to loose a child and hope I never do but I am praying for you. Keep your blog just the way you have it and if you want to make it all about you, ITS YOUR BLOG! People don't have to comment if they don't want to!

Anonymous said...

I would have stopped and listened to the whole thing and probably been late for work or been fired. I love the violin and he plays beautifully. Wow, I can't believe nobody stopped.

Anonymous said...

Loved your post. You might enjoy my newest post and video.....real food for thought for us as mothers. It is by Sir Ken Robinson on the subject of creativity....
Love your blog.
Melissa S.

Melissa said...

Whoops. Forgot to leave you my link....for the video on creativity.
www.melissasalomon.com
Blessings!
Melissa