Saturday, June 27, 2009

The front door


Brock just got home from camp a little over an hour ago. We're all happy to have him back. He's on cloud 9 and has lots of stories to tell us, pictures and videos to share and about 6 bags of dirty laundry. His sisters are most excited to be playing with the new flashlight he got. There is lots of chatter in the background right now. This is the stuff I love about kids and summer and savoring the little stuff.
Speaking of savoring, the non-camping kids had their own fun outdoors this week including an impromptu picnic on the front step. Isn't it interesting how just a little change of scenery can turn something like sandwiches, chips and carrots into a special memory?! It's always a good thing to shake things up a bit and do things out of the typical routine. Which is why I took a break from doing laundry the past 2 days. It was a real treat for me. =)
If you were to come through my front door right now I would probably offer you some fresh-baked zucchini bread. Ava helped me bake this morning. I have posted the recipe here somewhere, but it was prior to my posts with tags, so I am re-posting it here as requested by a couple of you via email to me this week. Now, if you click the recipes link on the sidebar, it will pop up for you. It's actually my mom's recipe- one of my favorites since I was a little girl. So, sometimes it's fun to change things up a bit. But there's something to be said about things that are tried and true too!
My Mom's Zucchini Bread Recipe
Ingredients:
2 cups grated zucchini
3 eggs
3/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3 tsp. vanilla
1 can (11 oz. drained) mandarin oranges
2 cups sugar (I always cut this back to about 1 3/4 cups)
3 cups flour
Directions:
Mix zucchini through oranges together in large mixing bowl. Add sugar and flour until well combined. Bake in pre-heated 325 degree oven for 1 hour 15 minutes. Makes 2 large loaves or 4 mini loaves. Bake mini loaves from 40-50 minutes. {Check for doneness.}
Enjoy!

5 comments:

Heather said...

That was a nice welcome you made for Brock. I'm sure he was just as thrilled to be home as the girls were to welcome him back. I will certainly try your recipe. Thanks A girl can never have too many recipes. Especially the tried and true ones :)

JSM said...

thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!! {glad I wasn't the only one who asked for it!}
:)

erin said...

jody,
you're so right about a lil change of scenery!
we've not got the money right now to relandscape, so instead of always going to the park or the pool, we brought all art supplies and the bubbles in our front courtyard the other day and had a blast!
blessings
erin

Lauren said...

Seriously, can I come to your house and have a slice of bread?? haha!! That sounds sooooo good :)

wife.mom.nurse said...

1)Sweet reunion

2)Yum

3)Thank you

~Julie