Thursday, March 25, 2010

On my mind today...

These colorful felt pinwheels caught my eye on Elsie's blog. You can purchase a bouquet of pinwheels here... and find more inspiration at the creator's blog- Giant Dwarf. I just think it's fun to share ideas and things that inspire me from time to time. Simple things. I think it helps remind my husband that I'd rather have a bouquet of felt pinwheels than roses too. He forgets how practical I am at heart and I know he still reads my blog from time to time, so this post is especially for him. {wink}
Now. On a totally different topic...
Do any of you feel relieved and convicted at the same time when you hear ongoing media coverage about such people as Tiger Woods and Sandra Bullock? I'm just thinking outloud for a minute, because it's something that's been on my heart and mind the past several days. First of all, my heart breaks ANY time I hear that a marriage is being rocked. Whether it's because of financial strain, marital infedelity or any number of other reasons. I know firsthand what a challenge marriage is to maintain, and especially in our American society, it is so easy to "throw away" when the going gets tough.
So when I hear stories of struggling marriages I stop and thank God that He has and continues to hold mine together. It is a challenge to make a marriage relationship a priority and it is easy to let stuff pile up or come between a husband and wife. I am humbled and grateful that my marriage- while far from perfect- is still intact and even wonderful at times. I don't take that lightly and I know what a gift it is. Every single day.
The other thing I have been thinking about is how easy it is to stop and point a finger or to feel "arrogant" when {especially big celebrity couples} marriages break down. It seems all too easy to say, "Boy, I'm glad I would never do something like that... or How could that even happen?". The fact is, none of us are immune to the things of this world that seek to tempt us, drag us down, rip us apart and in short, break up a sacred union. We live in a fallen, sinful world and these sorts of stories in the news- as much as they make me hurt for those behind the headlines- seem to be quiet reminders that I need to do as the Bible says, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." Prov. 4:23
Having the world at your fingertips, and money and fame may seem to be glamourous and wonderful. But in this broken world I am learning to thank God for what I have, to be content and even very satisfied with the things I do have. I have been praying for people I know in stressful marriages and even praying that God can be glorified and bring good out of the hardships and struggles that marriages can encounter. He is the One thing that has been the source and strength in my marriage to Chip and I know that He desires nothing more than to bless even the rockiest marriage. I am glad that we can trust and turn to Him. No matter how tough life gets at times.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jodi-thank you for sharing this! WE should all feel convicted about those things we hear, we should CONSTANTLY pray for the well being of our marriages, even if we think everything is fine.

Anonymous said...

Great post Jody.

Abbie said...

Yes! Marriage is hard AND good. And worth it. But we have to work and so many people don't realize that. My heart breaks, too, for all the people who are hurting and scarred by broken marriages. I pray God will do miracles in them.

Shere said...

TFS this. I always enjoy visiting ur blog and was struck that u spoke on this topic bc I just had that same conversation (the I would never do something like that myth) w my cousin 2 days ago. It is so easy to say but u just never know what u really will do until u are in a difficult situation. We need, need, need Gods grace and love to do the right thing. Ur grace is inspirational & ur honesty inspires me to be more honest! Have a great day!!!!