Thursday, April 29, 2010

Why I love to bake...




My kids love to help out in the kitchen- especially when it comes to baking. Crew was totally into the banana bread we made yesterday. I modified a recipe from Williams-Sonoma Kids Baking and it was a big hit. Not just with Crew, but with everyone in the family.
Here's the recipe {with modifications}; I hope you enjoy it too!
easy! Banana Bread
{Makes 1 loaf, but I double the recipe and make 1 large loaf, 2 mini loaves and a dozen mini muffins too- perfect for small hands!}
Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3 very ripe mashed bananas
2/3 cup sugar (I used just under 1/2 cup of sugar)
1/3 cup oil (I pour half the measuring cup with unsweetened applesauce and then top it off with canola oil)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla (I used a splash more)
(I also added 1/4 tsp. fresh-grated nutmeg)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease loaf pan (I love "Pam spray for Baking"...the bread comes out so easily every time!). In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt and soda. In a large mixing bowl, smash the bananas with a fork. Next add the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla (and nutmeg too if you're adding that in) and beat until well blended. Add the flour mixture to banana mixture and stir until just blended.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in oven for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs clinging to it. Cool on rack for about 15 minutes and then remove from pan.
My favorite part of baking bread with Crew was listening to him say "num, num, num" every time we added an ingredient to the bowl and then watching him get sticky from licking the spatual. I gave him a quick bath while the muffins were baking and when he was dried off, clean and cozy, the muffins were done and ready to eat. The timing was perfect. He couldn't even wait for me to get his buttered and put on a plate. He just helped himself. There's something very special about baking with kids. I highly recommend the experience. It's a simple joy.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh my word, Crew is getting SO big!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just saw this name and thought of you.....

Cohen

Unknown said...

Banana bread sounds SO delicious right now!

Crew looks like a great helper. :) Thanks for the recipe!

holly T. said...

So fun! I love to bake with my boys too!

Anna-Marie Still said...

I was planning on making banana bread today - & am going to try your recipe. I love the idea of making some mini-muffins too for the wee ones! How long do you bake those for? Must be shorter bake time, right?

Anonymous said...

He is looking so BIG and still so adorable.

Love,

Jane

sanjeet said...

Banana bread sounds SO delicious right now!
post free classifieds