Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe {and story}~

For those of you who are interested in the cookie recipe I used when I made the ice cream cookie sandwiches, here it is. Along with it comes the urban legend and tale of how it came to be. Whether it's from Neiman Marcus or Mrs. Field's or neither has been subject of debate. But what's not to debate is just how delicious these cookies are! I always make a half batch and it makes plenty for me- like 3 dozen or more, depending on the size. I never overbake them- anywhere from 8-12 minutes in the oven... again, it depends on the size of the cookie you are making. My advice is to just stay close to the oven and keep checking them before they have a chance to bake through and get too crispy. Unless you love crispy cookies. Then bake them as long as you like! =)
For the cookie sandwiches, my kids like any kind of ice cream in the middle, but they especially love chocolate chip cookie dough... because you can never have too much of that when you're a kid!
{Edited to let you know the following story is one that has been told and re-told. I didn't actually live this experience! And if I did, I certainly hope I would be more gracious in my response. =)}
I hope you enjoy both the recipe and story. Here they are:
My daughter and I had just finished a salad at Neiman-Marcus Cafe in Dallas & decided to have a small dessert. Because both of us are such cookie lovers, we decided to try the "Neiman-Marcus Cookie". It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe and the waitress said with a small frown "I'm afraid not." Well" I said, "would you let me buy the recipe?"
With a cute smile, she said YES". I asked how much and she responded, "Only two fifty, it's a great deal!" I said with approval, "just add it to my tab".. Thirty days later, I received my VISA statement from Neiman-Marcus and it was $285.00. I looked again and remembered I had only spent $9.95 for two salads and about $20.00 for a scarf. As I glanced at the bottom of the statement, it said, "Cookie Recipe - $250.00". That's outrageous!!!
I called Neiman's Accounting Dept. and told them that the waitress said it was "two-fifty," which clearly does not mean "two hundred and fifty dollars" by any POSSIBLE interpretation of the phrase. Neiman-Marcus refused to budge.. They would not refund my money, because according to them, "What the waitress told you is not our problem. You have already seen the recipe - we absolutely will not refund your money at this point." I explained to her the criminal statutes which govern fraud in Texas. I threatened to refer them to the Better Business Bureau and the State's Attorney General for engaging in fraud. I was basically told, "Do what you want, we don't care and we're not refunding your money." I waited a moment, thinking of how I could get even,or even try to get any of my money back. I just said, "Okay, you folks got my $250.00, and now I'm going to have $250.00 worth of fun."
I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover in the United States with an e-mail account has a $250.00 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus... for free..She replied, "I wish you wouldn't do this" I said, "Well you should have thought of that before you ripped me off", and slammed down the phone on her.. So, here it is!!! Please, please, please pass it on to everyone you can possibly think of. I paid $250.00 dollars for this... I don't want Neiman-Marcus to ever get another penny off of this recipe....
(Recipe may be halved): 2 cups butter 4 cups flour 2 tsp. baking soda 2 cups granulated sugar 2 cups brown sugar 5 cups blended oatmeal (measure oatmeal and blend in blender to a fine powder) 24 oz. chocolate chips 1 tsp. salt 1 8 oz. Hershey bar (grated) 4 eggs 2 tsp. baking powder 3 cups chopped nuts (your choice) 2 tsp. vanilla
Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet..Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.
Have Fun!!!

10 comments:

Heather said...

Jodi. What a rip off. Thank you for the recipe :) Would it be okay if I copy and paste and share your story as I share the recipe? It's too good to not let people know why~ Shame on them I'll wait till I hear your reply.

Jody said...

Oops! I didn't mean to be confusing. The story is one passed on for years- not my own! But feel free to pass it on to whomever you like! =)

smilingfaces said...

I have also heard the same story. When you started telling it, I too thought it happened to you. How funny!

Micha

April said...

Thanks for the recipe. I also thought the story was about you. Guess what I'm baking tomorrow!

Kelly said...

Jody, you absolutely crack me up! Whatta horrible thing to have happen to anyone!

I've posted it to my blog as well.

Take care.

Lauren said...

I have heard about their cookies and how delish they are. Wonder if this is a true story!!!!! Anyhow, all that matters is you have the recipe and they are tasty :)

LAJJmom said...

I guess it's a story that's been around forever.
http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/cookie.asp

The cookies look and sound delicious though, wherever they came from!

Hope you are feeling well, Jody and your family is enjoying their summer!

Jay Hendershot said...

I made these on Saturday and they were a hit! Thanks for the recipe.

Rachel said...

Love a good Chocolate chip recipe. I think it is funny that Neiman Marcus actually developed a chocolate Chip Cookie in response to this story. Here is a link to the real Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie. Maybe I should make them both and have a taste test. Love the Ice cream sandwich idea.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the receipe. Sorry it cost you so much! My son made it the other day and two days later they were all gone!

I've been reading your blog for awhile and am so thankful for your transparency. May the Lord continue to bless you as you are seeking HIM!

In Christ,
Fern