Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Happiness is warm laundry on a chilly day...



I took pictures of something I have done lots and lots of times through the years. It's especially wonderful on days like the kind we had today- that start out in the 40's when you wake up and reach only into the low 50's for highs. That's chilly. It feels even cooler because we were spoiled with warmer temperatures than normal this past week. It definitely feels like fall outside now.

So my little laundry fun is well-received on days like today. As soon as a load of clothes is ready to come out of the dryer, I fill the basket and whichever kid(s) happens to be nearby they are treated to some warm laundry smothering. Today Teague was the lucky recipient. He got a blanket and Wyndham's dress wrapped around him and tossed on his head- which he promptly pulled off and laughed about.

I love to do this- and my kids all love it too- when they are just going to bed or have been settled in for a few minutes already. I love it when it's a load of bath towels too- all fluffy and fresh and piping hot. I grab the hot items out of the dryer and sometimes totally surprise them with a pile on their heads as they lay in their beds. Or sometimes I call them to come help me out for a quick minute. And when they show up I put Daddy's lounge pants and t-shirt on their heads. They laugh and scream and pull it off. And they always want more. It can get out of hand in a big hurry when one kid puts underwear on another one's head and the fun factor for that kid drops off suddenly. But the laughter and warmth and fun that comes from a dryer full of warm laundry is one I know they'll remember when they've grown and one I hope they don't outgrow too soon.

It's the little things.

I keep telling myself that.

I know it's not the things I do so right.

But the things I want them to feel good about. It's the things like laughter and seeing that even though you have to do stuff like laundry in life, you still have the choice to make it fun once in awhile. Or more than once in awhile. It's about knowing that seasons change and even with the 'cold' there is opportunity to feel warmth and create a bit of happiness along the way.

I can't help but think I'll always be glad that I let my kids play in the warm laundry and even encouraged it on cold days. Maybe this is why I love the smell of Tide so much...

6 comments:

CaseyWiegand said...

okay I have been sitting here tears streaming down my face reading every once of your story. I really can barely type because I am so effected by this story. Really I feel silly even saying I am so sorry, Im horrified at this tragedy. I feel so grateful to know you , your story- your beautiful soul. I too believe that in our greatest sufferings we touch Jesus in unimaginable ways. If you are ever interested in sharing the story you shared today in my comments on the blog send me an email- it could touch a lot of lives. I know I dont know you, but I love you. Praying for you tonight.

grey rose (they/them) said...

hey, jody!
i saw your comments on casey's blog, so happy i found you. praying for you and your sweet family as you continue on your journey with jesus.
sweet, sweet fellowship has been found with christ in my suffering, i pray the same for YOU

much love, sweet new friend!
looking forward to following your blog xo

Psalm 57:1-3
Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
for in you my soul takes refuge;
in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,
till the storms of destruction pass by.
I cry out to God Most High,
to God who fulfills his purpose for me.
He will send from heaven and save me;
he will put to shame him who tramples on me.
God will send out his steadfast love and his faithfulness!

Heather @ Finding Beauty in the Ordinary said...

Hi Jody!
I have been weeping after I read your comments on Casey's blog. I am her assistant and I can assure you that she is everything and more that you see on this lovely blog of hers. I'm so glad you found her. Your story is incredible and I really do believe that God has given you a voice and a platform to share it. Through your sufferings, may God's glory be shone! You are an amazing woman and you inspire me. Thank you for sharing! May God bless you xoxoxo

Unknown said...

No words. Bless your sweet family. Glory to God for all the beauty that has come from the story. I am so sorry it had to be in your own suffering. May God continue to keep and bless your family. What special people you are. Love you. Love that precious baby girl dancing in Heavan. Can't wait to meet her. She's ALIVE! In HIM.

Megan said...

dear Jody, I read your amazing comment over at Casey's blog and I don't even know how to express to you adequately how I feel. You are such an amazing woman with such strength and faith. I am so sorry for the horrible tragedy your family faced and it breaks my heart to think of how you must feel and what you are going through. I loved your testimony of faith, hope, and forgiveness and it was exactly what I needed to hear. The Lord does love you and truly blesses you and your sweet family. I know you will be able to see your sweet little girl again. You are such an inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing your story!

Nicole said...

ahhh!! he is such a cutie!

xoxo